heat pad reliability

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I read in an older post about a heat pad "melt-down", has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?. I have so far had nothing but safe reliable results from mine, they are zoomed reptitherm 8 watt. Comments and experiences are encouraged.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
nope, mine have never failed me, although they dont work with slant-slided enclosures, they have to be flat (vertical)

Last edited:

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only thing that I have ever used a heat pad for was a snake.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have used heat pads constantly for several years now for many reptiles and have never had any problems.

Cheers,
Dave

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, based on the design used for these heaters, and the fact that they were originally created for use by the military(for use on aircraft), I'm starting to question the validity of such an account.

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been visiting corn snake forums for years and noticed a few complaints about those zoomed heatpads. I use a mini one so I don't think it has the capability of melting the plastic of my tank. As long as people don't attach the 10 gallon heatpad to rubbermaid containers, etc I think it should be safe. Oh you can check out kingsnake.com and use their search to find some of thsee complaints.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I should have stated, "when used on glass tanks", so these complaints must have centered around synthetic materials?. That brings up another thing, has anyone ever had "stress cracks" on a glass tank?. So far I have been impressed with these heaters.

JDub

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I posted a previous thread about my heater and that it was not supplying enough heat to my tank. this is my only complaint. i put my heater on the side and it only heats the tank a few degrees. would it help if i covered the outer side of the heat pad with tinfoil? i have tried putting more substrate on the side with the heater, which someone in this board suggested to me, but it did not affect things. anyone else with some suggestions?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would advise against trapping heat againt the outside surface of the heater with tinfoil. Is it a zoomed reptitherm or some other brand?, I have three 8 watt sized pads attached to the sides and back of a 20H tank and right now it is at 88F.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
I read in an older post about a heat pad "melt-down", has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?. I have so far had nothing but safe reliable results from mine, they are zoomed reptitherm 8 watt. Comments and experiences are encouraged.
Some of my pads are about 6 years old and I've never had any problems with them, they are definitely the safest and most reliable heat source in my opinion.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
JDub said:
I posted a previous thread about my heater and that it was not supplying enough heat to my tank. this is my only complaint. i put my heater on the side and it only heats the tank a few degrees. would it help if i covered the outer side of the heat pad with tinfoil? i have tried putting more substrate on the side with the heater, which someone in this board suggested to me, but it did not affect things. anyone else with some suggestions?
I've found that I don't get enough heat from one pad if I leave the reverse side exposed to the air, the thing I do is to buy that polystrene sheeting that aquarium keepers use, and attach it to the back of the heat pad, this directs all the heat into the tank keeping it nice and warm. Its also important to have all of the pad in contact with the glass, even a small layer of air seriously affects efficiency.

JDub

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
I've found that I don't get enough heat from one pad if I leave the reverse side exposed to the air, the thing I do is to buy that polystrene sheeting that aquarium keepers use, and attach it to the back of the heat pad, this directs all the heat into the tank keeping it nice and warm. Its also important to have all of the pad in contact with the glass, even a small layer of air seriously affects efficiency.
thanks fusion121, i'll definately try that :)

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
Can you post a photo of the polystyrene setup?.
I'm many miles from home at the moment but I'll try to when i get back, all it is really is pretty basic insulation just like you'd use in your house.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
And this stuff is non-flammable?.
well yes its flammable in the technical sense like most polymers, but only at temperatures well above those your going to get with heatpads(490°C to be precise), I've used it for ages and it seems to work really well, its also very inexpensive.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you trust it, that's good enough for me, maybe I'll use this idea next winter when it's -35F outside and barely 65F inside.

Last edited:

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have used heatmats & strips (with thermostats) and have never had any problems. I have got a couple of brands on the go, Habistat and Naturep. The Naturep mat has black bands instead of being a solid black mat. It gets hotter that my other mats withought anything actually being in contact with it. The instructions on my habistat mats actually reccomend that you cover one side of the mat with polystyrene sheet to prevent heat loss.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
this is the way i do it: (maybe not fusions way)
polystyrene or w/e it is helps ALOT, dont underestimate it,
it also insulates partially from vibrations when under the tank, so it really is essential.

Attachments

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
George Carnell said:
this is the way i do it: (maybe not fusions way)
polystyrene or w/e it is helps ALOT, dont underestimate it,
it also insulates partially from vibrations when under the tank, so it really is essential.
I generally put it under the tank for insulation, but yes good point the vibration damping is another good use especially for scorpions, its great stuff.