someone say phoneutria?

ChoJinn

Arachnopeon
Just got another beautiful specimen in this afternoon. Picture quality leaves much to be desired, I know, but it's a brand new camera and I still have to learn to use it well (Canon sd100).

It came with two spiderling p.fera's ss well. One died in transit from Brazil, so i fed it to the big guy :p The other one is just fine and having a cool drink as we speak.

The big male is quite aggressive and ridiculously fast. He can climb glass with ease, and just trying to get him out of his pack had my heart pounding. I will post more pics as I learn to take them better.

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice ChoJinn. Whats the situation with keeping venemous spiders where you are? Do you need a license?

ChoJinn

Arachnopeon
There are no laws - at least none I am aware of - regarding keeping of venomous animals. I am sure there are laws regarding the keeping of some certain classification of "dangerous" aniamls, but I would bet those are geared for examples like Tigers, Lions etc. I know and have known many people who keep venomous snakes here and they've never mentioned anything. Here's hoping it stays the way.

I do not have a female for the male but I plan on hearing, in the next week or so, about another batch my guy has. He's supposed be getting some Amazonian scolopendra too - can't wait.

mick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

So how are they doing? What are you feeding them? Would you consider them faster than say... a P.Regalis of equal size? Are they out in the open alot? How big is the aquarium youe are keeping the big one in? Do thet activly hunt? Thanks and sorry for all the questions but I'm intrigued.

MICK

ChoJinn

Arachnopeon
the spiderling ate a fly I gave him, seems to be doing fine. He's in a plain glass aquarium until I figure out what I want him to end up in. The big male is cozy in a 10gal. with Bed-a-beast substrate and a fake plant he likes to rest under. I fed him the DOA spiderling and a couple beetles I caught outside.

I do not have any experience with P.regalis, or any tarantula for that matter, but these spiders are the fastest things I've ever dealt with. The big male can cover about 6-8 inches before the movement registers with your eyes - you litterally don't see him move - you just see him in a different location. Combine this with their glass-climbing ability and potent venom and you could understand why these are not to be carelessly kept.

They do "hunt," but primarily at night. They obviously do not make much, if any, noise but I have been up at night and seen him chowing down on a hapless beetle.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Beautiful spider! What is the legspan of the male?

John Sloan