Kids let the Usambara go!!!

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
OH CRAP!!!!! The kids were looking at the tarantulas yesterday and last night I noticed the lid to the usambara cage was OPEN just a crack!! Well, needless to say, shes gone!! :( :mad: I've torn the house apart looking for her!! WHERE would they hide?? Would they climb? or would they tend to stay close to the floor??

I was so stressed out last night I couldn't even sleep!! I made the kids sleep in a zipped up tent last night!! I could just see my 2 yr old getting bitten! OH man...where would it go????

HELP

Michelle :( :( :(

Makai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm so sorry for your escape, it should be near to its enclosure, try to close the room and tie a big roach to some place and wait until the OBT goes for it, just my two cents, i don't own one but it may work

jayco_heat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:eek: You would know better than me, but i would guess it's some-where dark and quiet. But I understand you fears with a 3 year old my-self. SH%*,
I hope you find it. godbless! :eek:

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a thought but look for webbing...how big was the beast ?? I had a little klugi escape and found it a few feet from its deli cup...I really hope all works out...please keep us posted as to the outcome of this...

Regards, Mike :(

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If I were you and I was worried about my children, I would find the room with the least amount of furniture, move it all out of there, search every hole, and let them camp until the T is found. Make sure you attach something to the door so that the T cannot crawl over or under it. Also, place your domestic animals in there as well.

Eventually the T will turn up unless it could have left the house somehow. Also, if a child complains about a monster under the bed, take him/her seriously!!

If I were a T, I would be in the bathroom because thats were the most humidity is (showers).

GOOD LUCK

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
She's about 3.5 to 4 inches :( shes a pretty big one. I've been looking for webbing. Im sure it will take her a while to settle in somewhere and web up. Ive looked under just about everything I can move by myself. Going to have the man help me move the entertainment center when he gets home. This just sucks...I hate it... Anyone want a female Usambara assuming I find her???

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Goodluck finding your T, I can't think of any particular helpfull way for you to catch it, but I'll keep thinking and I'll let you know. I hope no one *including the T* gets hurt. Keep us posted let us know.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Michelle,
Mike had a good point in looking for the webbing, however it will take several days before she will produce enough webbing to become noticeable.
I would check in and around the area in the which the enclosure is located. Best chance to spot her though is to wait until late at night after the lights have been off a while and use a flashlight. If possible, I would block off the room to try and keep her in there and from wandering the house. Additionally, I would leave her enclosure top open as she might attempt to return to her webbing. You just might find her back in there after a night or 2 of wandering. By the way, you might want to be 100% sure that she is not burrowed or hiding way out of sight in her webbing before leaving it open.
Good luck and let us know when you find her.
Ralph
P.S. Not to add concern, but this species is dry tolarant and can adapt well to inside living. At that size, it could possibly survive months if not captured.
Ralph

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh boy that really sucks! I really hope you do find her. I would not want tarantulas crawling around my room.

Zoo Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That does suck, we only had one escapee, in ten years. My son set a B. albopilosum free, and we didn't find it for five years. We had to replace the central A.C. unit inside, and it was in the wall. It was dead but no telling how long it lived in the wall. Hope you find yours soon.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would suggest looking low.
Both my Avic avic and L parahybana both went down to the right when they escaped. Both times. Seems a bit unimaginative but..

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Im sorry to say it but there tuff ili bassturds i moved my spiders from a back bedroom to a smaller room that was cheaper to heat when i was breeding P.mur a few months later we redecd the old spider room and my mother called on me to move the little spiders that had made there homes in the double glazed windows you guessed it free range P.mur :eek: and they looked like they where doing pretty well for them selfs they had only grown a moult or so in 3 months but looked like they could look after them selfs, not preaching here here just my 2p but my sis brings my smallist neice over to see us for a week or so a time that why im not getting any old worlders any time soon :( first try leaving down some small dark containers maybe with some damp paper towleing in, but not where any kids or pets can mess in them the way i got nailed by a P.mur when i was a younger was putting my finger in a film pot out of a box i was storting for slings it had set up home in one, hope you find her soon i can remember getting in to all kind of scrapes with ecaping pets.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Vys said:
I would suggest looking low.
Both my Avic avic and L parahybana both went down to the right when they escaped. Both times. Seems a bit unimaginative but..

Down and to the right is my kids bedroom :eek: Ive torn apart their bedroom and can find nothing. Bad thing is, its enclosure is in the Kitchen!! no way to shut doors...so it could be anywhere.

I was up at 2am with a flashlight wandering around lastnight :rolleyes: It just sucks having to wait for the webbing or to hear one of my kids screaming cuz they put on their shoe and got bit on the toe!! UGH If I survive the stress of this it will be a miracle!!

Michelle

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A few weeks ago, I had a small A. anax escape. It had maybe a 2 inch legspan, and so my hopes of finding it were low.

It was about 3 feet away from its enclosure hiding under a deep crevice in the TV. I was able to coax it out pretty easily.

Don't worry about it. Ive had a tarantula escape, a pede, and a scorpion. (plus maybe 40 or so snake escapes. All have been found within a day in the same room they escaped in.

Try putting out a pile of dark clothing. Check it during the day, cause it probably wont be in there at night.

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope you find it! you mentioned earlier that it was up for grabs... lol.... I'll take it!

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Michelle (i would use ur screen name but its rude to call a lady a hag) even with a child of two i would very much doubt that a P.murinus bite would be life threatening, certainly some thing you not want to happen, but a 2-4 week old baby was bitten by a S.gigantea in i believe Venezuela and survived with out any lasting effects, and a only t’s know to that come close to big pedes in terms of bad bite reports are pokes, even if you cant find her the fact she’s staying put is helpful but don’t put to much store by seeing webbing around something where she maybe lairing, most of the heavy webbers iv had on the run made a cell of silk just around them self’s and not out side of there hiding spot, sorry if i worryed you in to thinking she's gonna set up a clony in your house or some thing with my "tuff basstruds" remark.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LMMFAO CHECK THE UNDERWEAR DRAWER!!!! seriously I lost one it ended up in the under wear drawer and read on here of an usumbra escaping and ending up there too

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Yes be very careful of clothing i nearly folded up a jumper in my snake room the other month with with a on the run genic in it :eek: let me tell you genys are MUCH easyer going then you would imagine, not to mension the P.cam my mother boil washed back in my teens.

Last edited:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OldHag said:
I was up at 2am with a flashlight wandering around lastnight :rolleyes: It just sucks having to wait for the webbing or to hear one of my kids screaming cuz they put on their shoe and got bit on the toe!! UGH If I survive the stress of this it will be a miracle!!

Michelle
Michelle,

If you haven't done it yet you may need to pull out all the drawers in your kitchen. My OBT got loose when I was packing her up for a move a few months ago and got inside a drawer via a cabinet. Not exactly a fun night for me. I wasn't really confident sticking my hand into an area that even a flashlight wouldn't light up well. Anyway, good luck finding her.

David

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hope For The Best?

Michelle,

CRAPPOLA...and I feel for you... Darn, it seems like yesterday that you posted about your first OBT, and I felt your excitement.

I'm keeping ALL my fingers crossed (+ toes) that you'll find it really soon.

Is it possible that you could have overlooked it in your initial fright when you found she had escaped? Could she have squeezed in between furniture? Could she be INSIDE your kitchen cabinets somehow? Pots?

Wishing you all the luck that you find her SOON.

---
Wendy
---