Androctonus australis and Leirus quinquestriatus pics

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those are gorgeous scorpions and the photos are exquisite, I am definitely getting a GOOD digicam for my B-day.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've heard this species can be kept communally however they are not a naturally communal species if they get hungry they are liable to eat each other. Personally I always keep my A. australis individually.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very very nice pictures. by the way. the third picture looks a lot like A. Amoreuxi. i think, because it seems to have a thinner tail. but when I look at the rest of the body it looks indeed like A. Australis.

ldcsteelers

Arachnopeon
Its a little smaller than the others. Thats why I keep her separate. Also I think shes pre molt.

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you notice any fight between them?

ldcsteelers

Arachnopeon
No but I have seen the LQs mating. :)

I'm still working out the heat/humidity issues, so the environment is not quite stable as of yet, but we're getting closer.

Scorpie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i cant belive the size of the tail. just beautiful.
the L.Qs are great aswell

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
interesting, these LQ's have a much darker coloration than i have previously seen, is it the lighting?

claywithak2

Arachnopeon
They're one of the best looking scorpinos i've seen. ive been thinking about getting one, can anyone tell me any detailed facts on carring for an androctonus australia?

TheDill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey dood i think your l.q has some mycosis going..look at the last picture on your very first post..theres a black blob on his tail..

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Uh . . . this thread three and a half years old, and the OP hasn't posted since March of last year. I don't think commenting will help much.

To Claywithak2, you might try searching through the scorp forum to find A. australis care.

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just can't get over how solid that tail is! Pretty much most Austraian scorps have large pincers and relatively small stings-Androctonus is just the opposite. Is that because it carries more venom, or needs to be more durable as the primary means of catching prey etc?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Um . . . did you mean to type "Australian"? 'Cause this species is from north Africa and the middle east. It's scientific name is Androctonus australis -- "australis" is Latin for "southern" (hence the name of the continent). The name roughly translates as "southern man-killer."

As far as venom goes, this species is sometimes considered more deadly than deathstalkers (the other scorpion featured in this really old thread), because while the venom is slightly weaker, they can inject more in one sting.

ldcsteelers

Arachnopeon
hey dood i think your l.q has some mycosis going..look at the last picture on your very first post..theres a black blob on his tail..
You are right and she died a couple years ago. I am breeding her grandchildren now.

lilhildy

Arachnopeon
Okay so first i am sorry to the die hard scorp fans since i seem to only post my T pics and not my good scorp shots. This is still just from my cell phone pics but my Nikon will be in hand end of april so better shots to come.

Give me my Nikon and watch what i can do..... (hehe)

Cell phone: The first pic is at 5th instar, the second is 8 days into life as a 6th instar and the last is 6wks of 6th instar. She is much fatter now but no pics taken since this.

I still hope her and her brother get much bigger. How much success have you all had with pushing A. australis past 6th instar? I have heard reports of 8th instar is the max. Do you all agree?

Thanks for looking,
Josh

Attachments

Last edited:

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This thread has been resurected twice...awesome. Well since this is a very old thread I'll put in a very old picture I stumbled upon today. My favorite LQ may he rest in peace.

-Eddy