Female Dubia problem - water sac

gothra

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I had 3 female dubia with water sac protruding from its body recently; anyone know what it could be? Its soft, yellow, and filled with liquid. All my other dubias are fine and breeding well. I keep a dish of dog food and a dish of cereal in there all time; with water crystals and various fruits for moisture.

The sac will not go back in, and will leak staining the eggcrates. I tried to pull it out once, but it was not possible and the roach died later. Now I have separated the other 2 that had the sac. Any idea?

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry I dont know too much but I think its the "eggsack" that It like takes back in its self. Then it gives birth to the live dubia. Im not positive, one of my Fusca's did that once, well I only noticed it once...

sam

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never seen that ever come out of my Dubia. Maybe its some kind of parasite?

brothaT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure that it is a bad ootheca. A few of my females had that problem when I fed some fruit with trace pesticides on it.

gothra

Arachnopeon
I'm pretty sure that it is a bad ootheca. A few of my females had that problem when I fed some fruit with trace pesticides on it.
Hi brothaT, how do you deal with the females with that problem? Do you leave them in the tub or do you pick them out and throw them away? I only use carrots, oranges and apples (all washed and skinned), perhaps there are traces of farm chemicals or pesticides I didn't wash off...Besides pesticides, could there be any other cause that will lead to the development of bad ootheca? I'm concerned if I'm not providing proper diet for the roaches. e.g. the dog food I'm using is intended for puppies, is that suppose to be good?

BrianWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is the brood sack. It is NOT supposed to come out and most afflicted by this will die. If they did survive, they will no longer be fertile. Feed them off.

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My dubias do that all the time... leave her alone. It is likely that it is a brand new sac (the color is the giveaway for me). They tend to allow the new sacs to protrude (as yours is doing) in order to slightly harden and then they bring it back inside their bodies until birth day.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wrong. It is an inverted brood sac and she will die soon. Feed her off. Do not mistake it for a protruding ootheca that is being transferred from ovary sac to brood sac as Jorpion posted.

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wrong. It is an inverted brood sac and she will die soon. Feed her off. Do not mistake it for a protruding ootheca that is being transferred from ovary sac to brood sac as Jorpion posted.
I have to agree on this... definitely NOT a protruding ootheca that is being transferred from ovary sac to brood

gothra

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the answers! Any idea what is causing inverted brood sac? Is it a natural happening or can it be due to their diet or parasites? I have around 25 females only, and suddenly 3 of them have inverted brood sacs, I find this very unusual.

dan4jana

Arachnopeon
Did the problem continue? Did they all die? Were the other females effected?