haha....not cool!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well just got done feeding/maintaning my T enclosures. well lets just say im in hives.:wall: i was doing some slight misting to my L.P. enclosure and at the same time it kicked a cloud of hairs. i guess the fine mist blew some of the Urticating hairs out of the tank and onto my body(i was shirtless!:wall: ) now ive had some reactions to my L.P.'s hair before but not like this. im ompletely on fire! and blotchy. im out of benadryl and mn this sucks. hahaha. well at least i dont have a blondi!

so i used this chance to try a few things.

1. duct tape(200mph to be exact, the super sticky kind)- worked great. arm isnt itching on site.

2. hair removal wax strips- worked ok...but was more messy

3. hot water and a towel.- surprizingly efficient.

4. cortazone(spelling) -no affect yet

i am going to have to say. duct tape was most affective. second was the hot water and towel dry. the wax was ok but wasmore of a hassle. and te cortazone was worthless. acually hink it made it worse. because you have to rub it in.

yes i feel dumb. but it gave me a reason to write this. i hope it helps someone.

zes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i cracked up reading the wax and duct tape ones xD
pretty sure you got more than just the urticating hair out

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i take a cold shower when i get blasted with hairs from my blondi or wipe the area with a really cold damp rag..the cold closes the pores and washes the rest off but it still itches like crazy..it's the same principle of fiberglass..and duct tape is awesome if you don't mind ripping out your own hair

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i take a cold shower when i get blasted with hairs from my blondi or wipe the area with a really cold damp rag..the cold closes the pores and washes the rest off but it still itches like crazy..it's the same principle of fiberglass..and duct tape is awesome if you don't mind ripping out your own hair
acually i say cold water wouldnt help. mainly because it closes the pores....hot ateropens them up releasing any remaining u hairs. and ha...yeah the wax and duct tape definatly made a few bald spots:eek: but its ok...the duct tape worked great. i hate nascar....but one thing good came from it. 200mph duct tape!

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
acually i say cold water wouldnt help. mainly because it closes the pores....hot ateropens them up releasing any remaining u hairs. and ha...yeah the wax and duct tape definatly made a few bald spots:eek: but its ok...the duct tape worked great. i hate nascar....but one thing good came from it. 200mph duct tape!
i used to work with fiberglass and thats what we used to do if we came into good contact with it..and thats kinda what blondi hair feels like to me.like rolling in fiberglass...duct tape! mans greatest invention.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think I'm most interested to know why you felt the need to "mist" an L.parah?

:? :? :?

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I mist everything at least once a week because it's dry in here. I mist my L.P. enclosure as well but I never soak it. I'm pretty sure I've inhaled hairs from the same type of deal Cody said. I think I've managed to get lucky though because so far U hairs don't do much to me.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think I'm most interested to know why you felt the need to "mist" an L.parah?

:? :? :?
because it was dry.....wy else. and considering they live in a rain forest or at least a tropica climate. i find it nessacerry... i dont mist all my enclosures. but it does get dry in my house with the ac running 24/7. sucks the humidity right out of the air. i dont soak them but a gentle mist is must in my opinion. ill stick with what has been working for 4 years. now...you can do the same.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why won't you just pour some water on the substrate? Why are you MISTING? It's a terrestrial!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a T blodi is a terrestrial....people mist them....just causeits a terrestrial means nothing. i prefer misting. notjust dumping a ton of water in there....i like to be able to control the humidity....a slight misting one a week is working for me...see my pic thread. proof is in the pics....

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a T blodi is a terrestrial....people mist them....just causeits a terrestrial means nothing. i prefer misting. notjust dumping a ton of water in there....i like to be able to control the humidity....a slight misting one a week is working for me...see my pic thread. proof is in the pics....
"Slight misting once a week" means it will dry out in a day, IF you have a good ventilation. So which one do you think is better for T. blondi for example? ;) When you pour water on the substrate it will actually STAY moist. And as they are terrestrials... Well, I'm sure you figure it out.

You should NEVER limit ventilation.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
first off. i never said anything about limited ventallation...and second. it doesnt just dry out in a day....:wall: third, mold goes rather quickly when the substrate is kept moist. and then theres...the risk of mites..and ect. i have been using them same keeping habits for 4 years now. not one death, except for a female obt that died of old age. again you do what works for you all ill keep doing what im doing.

not to mention i didnt start this thread to be scutinized on my husbandry, i started it because i wanted to share the success and failer of meathods ive heard of on A.B. to deal with urticating hairs. this isnt bash or flame cody day.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
first off. i never said anything about limited ventallation...and second. it doesnt just dry out in a day....:wall: third, mold goes rather quickly when the substrate is kept moist. and then theres...the risk of mites..and ect. i have been using them same keeping habits for 4 years now. not one death, except for a female obt that died of old age. again you do what works for you all ill keep doing what im doing.
I've never had any mold in my T. blondi's enclosure. The ventilation is the key. I just let it dry out before I soak the substrate again. And yes, if you have a great ventilation, the misting doesn't affect longer than a day.

BUT then again, we are talking about L. parahybana here. I'm not surprised this method works fine for you, because they really don't need any humidity at all. Have you ever kept T. blondi?

Really, there's only very few species/genus that actually need the humidity. Theraphosa, Xenesthis and maybe Mehaphobema?

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
not to mention i didnt start this thread to be scutinized on my husbandry, i started it because i wanted to share the success and failer of meathods ive heard of on A.B. to deal with urticating hairs. this isnt bash or flame cody day.
i agree this is not a thread about how the T's are kept its about the UT hairs and how to remove them.

I was the one who mentioned T.blondi's because i keep them, and I only reference them because their hairs are among the worst and hardest to remove.