Plants to use with tarantulas

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anyone happen to have a list of nice low light plants I can use in a tank for a tarantula. I'm thinking of getting some nice setups going for when some of my pokies get bigger and fake plants just arent doing it for me.

Also what light would you use for them. I tried putting some in the tank with my centipede but they all just eventually ended up dying.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I've heard good things about Pothos; It's what robc uses in his enclosures.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I generally stick with Pathos. Looks better in a tank when you have a cool hide and they basically grow anywhere given a little bit of water.

Danny

Arachnopeon
cant go wrong with pathos. also i have some english ivy and african violets in mine and they are thriving.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is a question often asked.:D

i ran a quick search, because i remembered posting in one that contained good advice lately. Here is the thread.

Using the advanced search and searching the thread titles, can yield good results easily in most cases. i definitely suggest you buddy up to the search engine and make it your pal!:D

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is also Pothos, not pathos. (pathos is something completely different and not a plant.:p )

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've read some of these other threads and they didnt answer what I really think is the main question.

What kind of light do you use to grow plants in a terrarium?

I have tried getting plants in an aquarium and I dont think I have the right kind of light to do so.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some people use bromeliads, you can get these from http://blackjungle.com, I have never used them myself, but have read some good things about them.
Bromeliads are awesome for something like a dart frog tank, but definitely wouldn't work in a T tank. They require high amounts of lights to grow well, and I'm sure we all know how uncomfortable that would make our tarantulas. Unfortunately, very few plants can handle the low light levels of a tarantula tank, which is why pothos are so popular. I've also found that aluminum pilea (Pilea cadierei) will grow very well under low light conditions, but I have not tried it in any tarantula tanks.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Correction.... Aureum Jade Pothos lol..
Just for clarification - Pothos is a genus. There are many different species and cultivars, and Aureum Jade would be a cultivar. (Although "sp aureum"- has been redescribed as in the genus Epipremnum.)

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These are good suggestions most likely going to get some pothos

but what kind of light do I need? does regular light from a room work? or would i need to get some sort of plant florescent? if so whats a good brand?

Danny

Arachnopeon
i have the tank infront of a window. so far that seems to be enough.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bromeliads are awesome for something like a dart frog tank, but definitely wouldn't work in a T tank. They require high amounts of lights to grow well, and I'm sure we all know how uncomfortable that would make our tarantulas. Unfortunately, very few plants can handle the low light levels of a tarantula tank, which is why pothos are so popular. I've also found that aluminum pilea (Pilea cadierei) will grow very well under low light conditions, but I have not tried it in any tarantula tanks.
Tarantulas do fine in regular sunlight, with plenty of hides and shade lights can be used fine. All plants need some light to stimulate growth, I was merely making a suggestion. I have read several posts mentioning using these plants here on AB. Danny, putting the cage in front of a window is not a good thing.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas do fine in regular sunlight, with plenty of hides and shade lights can be used fine. All plants need some light to stimulate growth, I was merely making a suggestion. I have read several posts mentioning using these plants here on AB. Danny, putting the cage in front of a window is not a good thing.
I've kept broms in vivs before, and they need more than just ambient sunlight or light already in the room. For them to grow well, they need something like a compact flourescent overhead. You then run into an issue with providing enough light for the plants and maintaining an environment that keeps a tarantula both comfortable and likely to leave their hides. I'm sure it can be done, but I don't think it's ideal either for the plants or the tarantula.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've kept broms in vivs before, and they need more than just ambient sunlight or light already in the room. For them to grow well, they need something like a compact flourescent overhead. You then run into an issue with providing enough light for the plants and maintaining an environment that keeps a tarantula both comfortable and likely to leave their hides. I'm sure it can be done, but I don't think it's ideal either for the plants or the tarantula.
Right, I never said it was the best or most ideal solution, but for T's that already only come out at night or for OB I think one could make it work. You are correct in stating it is not the best solution though.

Danny

Arachnopeon
is it bad for the scorp?

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a flourecent light on my A.genic setup and she actually comes out and basks in it. :cool:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is it bad for the scorp?
If an enclosure is getting a good amount of sunlight it can overheat to dangerous levels. It's always a good idea to keep enclosed containers for any animal away from the sun.

I have a flourecent light on my A.genic setup and she actually comes out and basks in it. :cool:
Yeah, some terrestrials will sit out in the open regardless of what is going on. I was thinking more along the lines of pokies and other arboreals that are pretty light sensitive.

I believe peperomias may be another decent tank plant. They require little water, and will still thrive under low light conditions.

Also, when I said that broms aren't ideal for a T enclosure, it wasn't meant to discourage anyone from trying them. They just need additional lighting and other care, unlike a pothos plant which you can just thrown into almost any enclosure and it will do well. (I'd also be willing to bet that aluminum pilea will work just as well, I have an old dart frog enclosure that has been sitting in the garage for 4 years now, and the stuff has taken over and is still thriving.) If someone was willing to find a nice balance between watering and light in which both the plants and T's woud be comfortable it'd probably be a very rewarding experience. Especially for something like an Avicularia which web up in epiphytic broms in the wild.

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just for clarification - Pothos is a genus. There are many different species and cultivars, and Aureum Jade would be a cultivar. (Although "sp aureum"- has been redescribed as in the genus Epipremnum.)

Good one Bill. Let's not forget the genus Scindapsis which is sometimes erroneously mislabeled as epipremnum but is generally accepted as a "pothos".