P. cambridgei sling

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
So I got my order of my two new slings to day (versicolor and H.mac). And a free P. cambridgei came with them! I was surprised and very pleased. So I named him Kumo. (Japanese for spider).

I did a search of them on here, youtube and wikipets, but didn't find a hole lot about them. So does any one have any tips or good links on taking care of cambrigei slings?

Thank you!

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've never had one, but I assume you keep them much like any other sling. They're very fast and grow fast from what I've read. Good luck!

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
I've never had one, but I assume you keep them much like any other sling. They're very fast and grow fast from what I've read. Good luck!
Its the biggest of my three slings. But all right, I thought so.

Out of my three slings this one all ways seems to do what I need it to do. Haha. When rehousing, my versicolor wouldn't go into it's enclosure, and wan'ted to stay on my had. My H.mac was biting the prodding tool to get it back into its vial. But the cambrigei, rehoused extreamly well.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its the biggest of my three slings. But all right, I thought so.

Out of my three slings this one all ways seems to do what I need it to do. Haha. When rehousing, my versicolor wouldn't go into it's enclosure, and wan'ted to stay on my had. My H.mac was biting the prodding tool to get it back into its vial. But the cambrigei, rehoused extreamly well.
Seems typical of the three. Did the cambridgei quickly run into the enclosure or was it slow and not skittish?
They're a great-looking species as adults and slings!

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
Seems typical of the three. Did the cambridgei quickly run into the enclosure or was it slow and not skittish?
They're a great-looking species as adults and slings!
It was slow and relaxed.
But yes, very cute as a sling, and pretty when it gets older.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Keep it just as you are going to keep your versicolor. Arboreal, higher humidity, respect.

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
Keep it just as you are going to keep your versicolor. Arboreal, higher humidity, respect.
I concur with John on this one. Trust it'll end up being one of your favorite T's. I got one awhile back as a freebie too and they are an absolutely awesome, gorgeous T..........you'll see :)

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like everyone said, keep it like any other arboreal. I bought a P. cambridgei as one of my first couple of Ts. She is my favorite T, about 2" now and beautiful!. Always a good eater and I see her out often. (assumed female)

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I think mine may go into a molt soon. It wont eat and its abdomen is a rather dark color.
You just got it today, that very well could be the reason for it not eating. Some spiders will eat after unpacking, but many won't. They need time to acclimate. I find, with my P. cam, that it's tough to tell when it's premolt just by looking at it's abdomen. They don't get bald patches (they lack urticating hairs) so you don't get bald spots that make it easier to see the abdomen getting dark.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This is true Shell. I found that with any new worlds that lack urticating hair (mainly arboreal), and with old worlds, the best way to tell is the abdomen will plump up a good bit. Their abdomen will get very plump prior to a molt, instead of seeing the darkening, this is the way i can tell most the time.
I find, with my P. cam, that it's tough to tell when it's premolt just by looking at it's abdomen. They don't get bald patches (they lack urticating hairs) so you don't get bald spots that make it easier to see the abdomen getting dark.

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
You just got it today, that very well could be the reason for it not eating. Some spiders will eat after unpacking, but many won't.
I thought it would eat because when I frist got my rose hair she ate.
Good to know! Thank you!

Their abdomen will get very plump prior to a molt, instead of seeing the darkening, this is the way i can tell most the time.
Thats how my versicolor looks right now.

But all right. THank you so much every one! The links are of good help

meghanbe

Arachnopeon
I got a couple P. cambridgei slings from Patrick about a week and a half ago. :) So far mine are both burrowers and stay hidden pretty much all the time. I did get to see their speed during unpacking, and it was impressive for sure. I also have an A. versicolor sling and I've never seen that type of speed from her. I tried feeding my cambridgeis a few days after unpacking and they both ate...tried feeding them again yesterday and only one did. I have no idea if the one who hasn't eaten (Siobhan) is plump or not--I haven't seen anything but her tippy-toes since the day I unpacked her. The other one (Cormac) graced me with his presence when I misted his enclosure tonight. I sprayed, looked away to mist Siobhan's enclosure, then glanced back to find Cormac stuck to the wall, slurping up water like crazy. I love these guys--so pretty--and can't wait to watch them grow.

They're also the T's I respect the "most" in my collection (not that I don't respect them all). :D

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
your VERSI could just be full lol.. THEY are NW ts, so they will show the easier to spot signs.
I feel so dumb, I forgot all about this.

I got a couple P. cambridgei slings from Patrick about a week and a half ago. :) So far mine are both burrowers and stay hidden pretty much all the time. I did get to see their speed during unpacking, and it was impressive for sure. I also have an A. versicolor sling and I've never seen that type of speed from her. I tried feeding my cambridgeis a few days after unpacking and they both ate...tried feeding them again yesterday and only one did. I have no idea if the one who hasn't eaten (Siobhan) is plump or not--I haven't seen anything but her tippy-toes since the day I unpacked her. The other one (Cormac) graced me with his presence when I misted his enclosure tonight. I sprayed, looked away to mist Siobhan's enclosure, then glanced back to find Cormac stuck to the wall, slurping up water like crazy. I love these guys--so pretty--and can't wait to watch them grow.

They're also the T's I respect the "most" in my collection (not that I don't respect them all). :D
Thank you for the help! I got my slings from Patrick as well! Though mine doesn't burrow. Kumo (name of my cambridgei) just made a huge web. I will try feeding them tomarrow.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I feel so dumb, I forgot all about this.

Thank you for the help! I got my slings from Patrick as well! Though mine doesn't burrow. Kumo (name of my cambridgei) just made a huge web. I will try feeding them tomarrow.
Don't be surprised if you find out one day, that it has developed a burrow underneath the webbing - they often extend it into the substrate when young. And yes, they are insanely fast, be on your guard! ;)

AngryMothNoises

Arachnosquire
Don't be surprised if you find out one day, that it has developed a burrow underneath the webbing - they often extend it into the substrate when young. And yes, they are insanely fast, be on your guard! ;)
It ate last night! But that also explains why it likes to hang out at the bottom.
Thank you!