Scolopendra Dalmatica hibernation?

Dahaka

Arachnopeon
Scolopendra Dalmatica hibernation?

Is it need hibernation for scolopendra dalmatica in hobby?

Thank You!

super-pede

Arachnobaron
no scolopendrids need to hibernate in captivity .no inverts for that matter either!

Last edited:

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But my Purtorican Giant Centipede did, every year for 4-6 months... and did excellent. I didn't try to make it it just did.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dont confuse hibernation with hiding.
Pedes can hide for 1 hour to 8 months just because they wish it. That is more than true for s.alternans the pede as i call it that you have but dont have. :p
Also for s.angulata. Those things never come out.
They can also stop eating just because they wish it while hiding.

Anyway enough with that.

Hibernation means lowering temperatures and simulating the cold season the pede would have in it natural enviroment.
That is very hard to achieve if you are not living in the same area as the centipede. And still is very hard because we dont know how deep they borrow during those seasons and the exact temperatures they like.
For all we know is that during those times pedes lose their apetite or feed less frequently until warmer seasons come. That can go up to months without them having food and they become rather sluggish kinda like hibernation.
(i experimented a lot with temps last years)

I think its better for the pede to simulate seasons(also rain/no rain) but it is also a risk to take since they can die if temperatures go too low.
For example cingulata, malaysina jewel, s.subpinipes and heros and gigantea can take rather low temperatures while other species cant, like hardwickei or ethmostigmus. It all depends on their previous native enviroment.

In general most of pedes stop eating and become sluggish in temps like 14-18 and they survive, while their appetite rises and they unborrow more often in 20-30.

Also in my opinion middle temps are the best for a long lived centipede, but that can impact their mating seasons and the breeding success.

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
no scolopendrids need to hibernate in captivity.no inverts for that matter either!
You are kidding, right? Instead of keeping so many Scolopendromorpha you should rather take a look on their habitats than to spread such stupid things among hobbyists.
How many centipedes have you succesfully mated and bred?

Most of the mediterranean Scolopendromorpha hibernate and that's a fact.
And Scolopendromorpha living in areas who have kind of winters or lower temperatures in winter hibernate as well.

But maybe in your world Scolopendromorphs fly to countries with summer like birds. Would like to keep a centipede with wings, must be awesome.

Considering that comment in inverts as a whole is even more stupid. (e.g. Lycosa).

And yes, S. dalmatica should be hibernated in approx. 10 degrees celsius in winter time. This stimulates the pedes to mate and finally to lay eggs.

Should know it since I kept it. What you most probably did not.

Regards
Turgut

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Do they have to hibernate?They will need they're temp to be brought down if your gonna breed them.I have bred cingulata, trigonopodus,heros,subspinipes and polymorpha.I have never owned a dalmatica,you're right.I never said that they didn't hibernate in the wild.The question was do they need to hibernate in captivity,which they don't.