How to stimulate a MM to make a sperm web?

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What can i do to stimulate a MM A versi to make a new sperm web. I just got him on sunday and i have placed the females tanks right next to his. He's probably a month mature. Should i just try and breed a couple times before i see a sperm web? He was in a tank with a ton of webbing before i got him so there could be a sperm web, but i wouldnt know how fresh. So, to breed how can i get him to make a new sperm web or do i just breed him then hope he makes one after the first mating then try again.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
He'll make them on his own. If you want to put him with the female, go for it. It'll be enough stimulation for him to make a new one if he either discharges or isn't loaded to begin with.

Arachnocentric

Arachnopeon
The pedipalps absorb the semen and keep it viable until a mate can be found. If your sure your male has just matured he would have laid within the last 2-3 weeks. Set him loose. He Should have a fresh sperm web 4-7 days later and do it again.

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard that taking a piece of a female's substrate, with her webbing on it, and placing it in the male's tank could help. I did this with a MM G. rosea, but I don't know if it made any difference or not since he's always been quite, um, excitable. He even started drumming at a non-invert-owner female friend of mine once! {D

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tickle his belly and watch him go{D {D {D

Listen to the posted advice.
PIG-

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have had many males that dd not make sperm webs on their own for at least 4 weeks after maturing, so I know what you mean. I place a fair amount of the female's webbing in with him, or introduce him to the female but don't allow them to mate, just let them drum, and also feeding him may stimulate him to do something. Rarely have I bought a male that just made one by himself withing two weeks of arrival unless I do some of these things (it is because they doesn't build them that I do these things - now it is just a habit).

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Slowly stroke his spinnerettes. :)

Just kidding. I've put a male with a female knowing that there was no sperm web in order to stimulate him to make one and, as Joe said, this works quite well.
Another method I've had great luck with in the shark tank method. Put the male in a smaller enclosure and put that enclosure in the female's enclosure next to her burrow. I do put a piece of the female's webbing in his enclosure with him. Let him drum it out for a few days and when you open his enclosure he'll be ready to rock.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I took a small piece of her web, but its not even that big as she hasnt really wbbed much other then a single tube web thats about 8" long. No hammock even. I think i will just try adding the male within this week

Thanks all for your help.

Ether Imp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Slowly stroke his spinnerettes. :)

Just kidding. I've put a male with a female knowing that there was no sperm web in order to stimulate him to make one and, as Joe said, this works quite well.
Another method I've had great luck with in the shark tank method. Put the male in a smaller enclosure and put that enclosure in the female's enclosure next to her burrow. I do put a piece of the female's webbing in his enclosure with him. Let him drum it out for a few days and when you open his enclosure he'll be ready to rock.
I was going to say "stroke his pedipalps"... but was afraid someone would actually try that.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was going to say "stroke his pedipalps"... but was afraid someone would actually try that.
I dunno about it stimulationg them to make a sperm web, but it's likely a sure fire way to getting yourself bit. :D