Tarantulas in Spain, Greece and Italy?

johnharper

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was wondering what kinds of tarantulas live in Spain , Greece and Italy?

thanks,
John

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Of course the founder of the name tarantula= the Italian wolf spider( Lycosa tarantula)

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
That's also called "tarantella" I think, but I'm no sure. I'm not even sure there are Ts in Greece and Italy, I only know about the spanish ones.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's also called "tarantella" I think, but I'm no sure. I'm not even sure there are Ts in Greece and Italy, I only know about the spanish ones.
"Terantella" is a dance (crazy dance)is derived from the myth that if the spider bites you ,you dance the tarantella.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Of course the founder of the name tarantula= the Italian wolf spider( Lycosa tarantula)

The irony of this being of course that the Lycosa tarantula is not a theraphosid (tarantula) at all.

I'm not aware of there being any theraphosids anywhere in Europe. Correct me if i'm wrong anybody...

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ummmm.................. None, that I can think of anyway.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
The irony of this being of course that the Lycosa tarantula is not a theraphosid (tarantula) at all.

I'm not aware of there being any theraphosids anywhere in Europe. Correct me if i'm wrong anybody...
Ischnocolus andalusiacus, Ischnocolus holosericeus, Ischnocolus valentinus (all three in Spain), Ischnocolus triangulifer (Italy) <--- so I was wrong about them not being in Italy, although it's only 1 species.

"Terantella" is a dance (crazy dance)is derived from the myth that if the spider bites you ,you dance the tarantella.
Yes, I know this is the source. :) The funny thing that tarantulas here are often referred as "tarantellas", even though the term "tarantella" and "tarantula" comes from the Lycosa tarantula (as Ethan mentioned).

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ischnocolus andalusiacus, Ischnocolus holosericeus, Ischnocolus valentinus (all three in Spain), Ischnocolus triangulifer (Italy) <--- so I was wrong about them not being in Italy, although it's only 1 species.
Wow, crazy. I've never heard of any of those. Are they in the European pet trade? I assume they must be...

I'd love to see a picture and am thus off to google the name right now.

Edit: Ok, I found some. Reminds me a little of E pachypus minus the stout legs.

I triangulifer is a very cool metallic looking, shiny silver. :drool:

Last edited:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I'm not aware of any of them being in the trade (that means nothing though), at least I never saw any of them. I only know that they are small species (dwarf?).

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lycosa tarantula is actualy bigger, so early european had only this one in mind when they landed in tropical countries and saw large theraphosids for the first time. Hence the name tarantula applied to them.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there is only one specie of tarantula in greece(few places), same one found in cyprus but i cant remember the scientific name. rare one too

kreuz

Arachnopeon
well, there are a few species living in this places. some of them are even in trade. but only here in europe i guess

Italy: Ischnocolus triangulifer
Portugal: Ischnocolus holosericus, I. valentinus
Spain: Ischnocolus andalusiacus, I. holosericus, I. valentinus
Greece: Chaetopelma gracile
Cyprus: Chaetopelma karlamani (probably the smalles t found so far)

here some pictures:
probably I. triangulifer
http://giantspiders.com/Ischnocolus.jpg

I. valentinus

my favorite C. karlamani

best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:

Fender Bender

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, crazy. I've never heard of any of those. Are they in the European pet trade? I assume they must be...

I'd love to see a picture and am thus off to google the name right now.

Edit: Ok, I found some. Reminds me a little of E pachypus minus the stout legs.

I triangulifer is a very cool metallic looking, shiny silver. :drool:
I'm from Europe and can't say you see them in the trade. I'm sure they are, but you don't see them pop up on dealer lists. I could be wrong, but from my point of view, the European T's are practically non-existing in the hobby.

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
According to Platnick's catalog Chaetopelma gracile is the same species as C. olivaceum. Since C. olivaceum was described earlier this is the now also the correct name for the former C. chaetopelma.
This species is the largest European T and actually is not so uncommon in the hobby here in Germany (I have one myself).

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well In cyprus we have two species
Chaetopelma Gracile which r found preety often
Chaetopelma Karlamani which accodring to some its supposed to b endemic to cyprus and only exist in one area on the island.

anikafeher

Arachnopeon
poolspider Spain

We have these spiders on a daily base in our pool. Can anyone give more information about these guys? Are they a threat to toddlers or pets? What to do in case of a bite? Is it the ischnocolus? Seems a lot like it..