Where can i get a worm snake aka thread snake?

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I seen these snakes, they are supposed to be the worlds smallest snakes only getting around 4" long at the zoo. Where can i get one?? They are also called slender blinde snakes, thread snakes, worm snakes, etc. I have looked around the internet a little bit and im not finding any classified or anything, any information or help would be appreciated.
-Nate

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I seen these snakes, they are supposed to be the worlds smallest snakes only getting around 4" long at the zoo. Where can i get one?? They are also called slender blinde snakes, thread snakes, worm snakes, etc. I have looked around the internet a little bit and im not finding any classified or anything, any information or help would be appreciated.
-Nate
hmmm i found some blind snakes before. check this thread and see if you see what you are talkign about
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=91528

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not sure how particular you are but I don't think a blind snake would be too hard to come by if people are willing to collect for you. I know in FL there is an invasive species that is parthenogenic. Captive care would be tough. I think you'd need a constant supply of termites or ant colonies to feed them. I guess this would involved every 2nd weekend going out and digging up a few ant colonies to collect larvae or otherwise collect termites. I found one source that says they eat worms. If so, your job is much easier as you could use worms inbetween times of no termites/ants.

The FL species is the Brahminy blind snake...and some sites think it is the smallest in the world.

how were they displayed at the zoo? Being fossorial it seems that you'd need to have a pretty ingenuous display to allow visitors to observe them.

Last edited:

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hate to hijack threads, but what does fossorial means.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
fossorial refers to digging or burrowing.

Shammer4life: I am now kind of interested in these little critters also. I recall Nate here on the boards keeps or kept a few of them. As for where to get them, I guess you need to find someone in FL or Hawaii willing to collect and ship some to you. I bet most people in FL who find them pass them off for worms.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In kentucky where i live we have a snake we call a worm snake. i don't know if it's the kind you are looking for, but i would be more then happy to try and get some for you.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Never heard of a blind snake, but I think you may be referring to a caecilian which is not a snake, and not even a reptile, it is an amphibian.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Never heard of a blind snake, but I think you may be referring to a caecilian which is not a snake, and not even a reptile, it is an amphibian.
if you click the link in the post above you're you shall see what he is talking about