my WC worm snake

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Carphophis amoenus amoenus

friendliest snake ive ever owned, had pythons and boas, and living in the south we get everything from rattlers to cottonmouths to black racers and ratsnakes, and hes probably got the best personality of all of em. just hangs out, even ignors the cats.

found a 4ft black racer yesterday as well, but didnt keep him, nothing big enough to put him end and he wasnt happy at all!

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think black racers have a reputation for being nasty. Everyone I've caught has been bitey. Rat snakes seem more laid back.

I find those worm snakes here in Cary, NC when I'm looking through leaf litter for millipedes. Pretty little snakes.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What do you feed those little guy's? I've heard that their insectivorous, is this true?

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i found him under a log looking for slimy salamanders (also heard them called spotted salamanders), they come out in the spring to mate and then burrow underground for summer, then come out again during fall.

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What do you feed those little guy's? I've heard that their insectivorous, is this true?
Ive been feeding him the little superworms you can get at petstores or find in logs, not the huge ones though. I read they can eat little lizards and salamanders, but with how small his head is, they would have to be small, so I imagine its best to stick with little softbodied insects. As you can see, his heads smaller than my finger nails!

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you actually witnesed it eating the mealworms? I think I should look into getting one of those!!!

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think black racers have a reputation for being nasty. Everyone I've caught has been bitey. Rat snakes seem more laid back.

I find those worm snakes here in Cary, NC when I'm looking through leaf litter for millipedes. Pretty little snakes.
"black racers" ARE rat snakes. the term "black racer" is just an adopted, mostly southern, term. but they are in fact a type of rat snake.

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they are different snakes

Racer (Coluber constrictor)

Rat Snake (Elaphe obsoleta)

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"black racers" ARE rat snakes. the term "black racer" is just an adopted, mostly southern, term. but they are in fact a type of rat snake.
When most persons encountered snakes they typically describe them by the color. In the South, you will hear black racers and black rat snakes (Elaphe obsoleta) commonly called "black snakes", not black racers.

To add to this confusion, black rat snakes are also called the pilot black snake and mountain black snake.

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That little snake is so beautiful. Does anyone know where I could get one? I am in CT, I don't think they are native to this area. :(

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's cool! Those aren't native where I live. Looks like the worm snake range barely comes into TX. My Peterson Guide says they eat earthworms and soft bodied insects. Also, there is a Black Rat Snake (Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta) and a Northern Black Racer (Coluber constrictor constrictor). There is also a Southern subspecies of Black Racer, Coluber c. priapus. Easy to feed that Worm Snake, plenty of places to get worms:cool: . I don't like housing Racers. Hyper, fast, nervous acting snakes that like a lot of heat and usually strike a lot. But I did come across one that never tried to bite and was pretty calm. Never know what kind of mood they are going to slip into.

Last edited: