to have live plants or not to have live plants that is the question.

ian robbins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have read that spiders dont like direct light, but I have seen some of the set ups on this forum and they have live plants in ther cages, with lights for the plants. Is this a special type of light that the spiders dont mind??? Is it ok for some species but not for others??? I like live plants in my animal cages, but I dont want them to be uncomfortable with the lights n there eyes all day or force them to hide all day to get away from the light. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. thanks for your time-Ian

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
as long as you provide your spider with an adequate hide or retreat so there not in contact with the lights it should be fine.also alot of plants will die without the lights.i suck at keeping plants alive and havent even tried in t tanks yet but id reccomend u look for plants that thrive well in low light conditions

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you think about it, it is fine. Perhaps it's even beneficial. Having a light on during the day and off at night mimics natural sunlight. As Syndicate said, make sure your spider has a retreat.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally, I wouldn't fool around with lights in my T set-ups. Lights make me nervous not to mention the hassle of dealing with cords and plugs and the extra expense of buying them. But there are a number of plants that can handle or thrive in low light. There was a thread on this just this week, so you might want to look for it. Also, unless you plan to keep your T's in a dark closet or windowless room all the time, they will get a measure of sunlight just naturally. In which case, you probably wouldn't need any lights.

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You should also beware of where you get these plants and the contents of any soil they're potted with. I recently read that isopods can attack T's if unchecked, and bringing plants in may well bring isopods.