Caught this snake in my apt...Texas Rat Snake???

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer

Jenny helped me ID it if this is correct...I jsut never had a chance to post a pic. It acts JUST like the research I've done says it will...vibrates it's tail and sounds like a rattler kind of, very defensive, strikes repeatedly and hisses a little bit. It's about 24-26" long and has red skin between the scales.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, that's a TX Ratsnake! In Louisiana, they tend to be a bit more orangish than most of the ones in TX, in fact, I believe some of the really bright orange captive strains originated in LA. This is a juvie, so it will likely get even more orange as it grows. Nice find!

pitbulllady

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My gf has a Texas Rat Snake, 6, maybe 7 feet, beautiful animal, apparently he can be a bit pissy sometimes but seems like a sweetheart to me. Great feeding response. :)

Barbedwirecat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
WOW nice find! Definitely a juvi E. lindheimeri

http://www.houstonherp.com/TxRat.html
Heres a bit more info on them, I also have a picture of a baby here:

The Terminex man found this little guy on a gluetrap and brought him to my work, I took him home, fed him a pinkie and let him go on his merry way. He bit the poo outta me when he warmed up and got over his ordeal but hey, same situation I would do the same.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
mmm...i just released it back in to the "wild" after work today. My cat's sanity wasn't doing so hot lol...shedding more than usual, jumpy, just not normal so I let it go.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very lucky find! Over a year ago, I found a very small snake in my laundry which was too fast too catch.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are common as grass here, and mean as heck..never seen one make a good pet so far.
maybe after a few generations of captive breeding..but not wc,yet