New catch!

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Tonight I went into the kitchen to get some late-night food, and what did I find? A HUGE wolf spider sitting on the floor. She's easily 2.5" and very fat! She's also mad as hell with me, apparently (pouncing at the sides of the delicup when I come near).

I'm debating keeping her, or letting her go tomorrow. If I decide to keep her, how should I best care for her? What kind of housing should I use? Should I worry about escapes when I go to feed her? If she is gravid (which looks likely), how do I deal with the babies?

-Bryan

(a few pictures, below)

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Holy CRAP! I just threw a cricket in with the wolf spider. I've NEVER seen such a violent kill (short of my bearded dragons eatting mice)! That was truely impressive :D I think she just found a new home ;)

Now, to figure out what kind of set up to give her. I'm clueless here, so any help would be much appriciated.

-Bryan

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My mom + brother found a (What they described) 3 inch spider behind the fridge yesterday and thought it was a T of mine, but went and let it go (I'd hate to see what would happen if it actually WAS a T of mine.)

I'd bet money it was a Wolf like that one...It makes me jealous to know I could have had one =p

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now, to figure out what kind of set up to give her. I'm clueless here, so any help would be much appriciated.

-Bryan
Hi, Bryan-

Setup should be like any terrestrial tarantula-peatmoss or something equivalent, appropriate-sized water dish and something to clamber on, which will also serve as a retreat or hide(or if it's a burrowing sp). Humidity should be about 70% and the beauteous wolfie should be kept in a medium to large enclosure.

John

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Thanks, John :) Have you kept these guys before? Are the anywhere near as bad as Pterrors or Pokies, when it comes to escaping when you open the lid? This is my last area of worry.

I think I'm keeping this cute little girl. I'm going to go buy a 2.5 gallon cage today :)

-Bryan

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, Bryan- I've kept a couple of the burrowing species before but never a terrestrial wolf spider...:)
They're extremely skittish and semi-aggressive, though not nearly as bad as, say, Pokies..:D

Congratulations on your new spider!:)

John

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't see your ?. As for potential escapes, regular 'tarantula security';) is appropriate...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bryan-

I've kept assorted wolf spiders, right now I have quite a few Carolina wolfs. Although they are somewhat flighty, they are quite easy to wrangle because they lack the climbing ability of tarantulas, so as long as there is a resonable distance between the substrate and the top of the cage, they are not likley to successfully dash for freedom, although they may be able to find footholds on the sillicone sealer of an aquarium.

Some do have a tendancy to eat their eggsacs, so if she drops one, give her plenty of privacy. She will carry it on the tip of her abdomen, hanging from her spinerettes . When the babes emerge, they climb onto the top of mom's abdomen. Eventually, they start to leave her and disperse. They'll be tiny, this is when you'll start finding little wolfs all over if your cage isn't secure! They will feed voraciously on pinheads and fruitflies (not to mention each other). You will probably want to split them up at some point, at least as many as you wish to rear (there may be hundreds). The rest can be released.

Wade

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, there no big mystery to keeping wolfs... I kept one alive for over 6 months when I was a kid with NO idea of how to care for spiders at all! I just tried my best to mimic nature, and that seemed to please her. They like to burrow and make a "hunt tunnel" ... they will line the burrow inside and out with silk and then just camp out on two or three of the major strands, waiting for something to disturb them. They'll be quite happy with crickets, and they are very active killers... fun to watch! Some species seem to ignore burrows and just set traps out in the open... if it's sufficiently dark where you're keeping her, she'll probably just line the edge of the enclosure and hunt in the open. Wait and see.

A note on the babies... there can be a LOT of them. If you suspect you female is gravid, you may want to drop that 2.5 aquarium in a Rubbermaid tub or something similar, because they end up EVERYWHERE. You have to separate them pretty quick also, because they start to look like hors d'ouvres to the mother, and she will eat them without a second thought if they get too old.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I acquired one a while back that looks and acts like a small Haplopelma species. If anyone knows, can you tell me if this is a Carolina Wolf? After reading this post (much too late) I've discovered I should give it a larger enclosure. How can you tell male from female of this species?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks. I've noticed another color type in our area that has black and white striping from head to tail. It is usually brown in color. Would that also be Carolina Wolf and just a color variation, or another type of wolf. The body type is identical. If you need a pic, I'll try to find one and take a picture of it.

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not certain, but in the picture it appears you have a beautiful female, and those brown variations are males of the same species.

Just to be certain, why don't you take a pic of this "alleged male" spider, and I'd be happy to try and identify it for ye....

Alex is lurkin' about, and Wade H would also be helpful in determining whether or not your female wolf would get a quick and easy meal if I was mistaken.

Whatever the case, our thoughts and wishes our with you, Botar.

The End.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well then I'll do some hunting on Thursday/Friday and see what I can find. I'd love to mate her just for the experience. A bit less stressful than T mating for me at this point... although I wouldn't want anything to happen to my female Carolina either.

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Neither would I, Botar.. your female wolf's beautiful.

john

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys, that's Hogna helluo...

Hogna carolinensis (the Carolina Wolf Spider) gets WAY bigger :)
And is Grey :)

Paul Day
(former creator of the largest wolf spider website on the Internet)

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome back...

to the hobby, Pauly! *Ahem* IF a certain someone hadn't removed the largest Wolf Spider resource on the Internet<hint,hint>, then maybe I wouldn't be caught with my pants down;) misidentifying arachnids...

We have a groovy thang going on at Scott's web site.

Just thought you should know.:)

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I sorta had to. I regret it now, but I was getting into copyright hassles and just didn't have the time to correct them. In my younger years, I could care less to give credit to people (as I don't care if people take my pictures), but certain individuals (who may go unnamed) has a baby fit about it. So I was forced to react.

Just so you know... remember Arachnomedic? Well, their is going to be a sequal... something new, which brings Arachnomedic, and "A Wolf In The Shadows" together. That's all I'm going to say. It won't be a full-throttle wolf spider website, but it'll have much of the same content, without the extra slack.

As for telling a male from a female Carolina (when mature of course), males have longer stockier legs, and little bulbus ends to their pedipalps. The females are fat, with shorter legs, and are darker in color. The ends of a females pedipalps are not bulbus at all, just like little feelers (with nothing on the end). Males can look quite grovey. I will post a picture of both as a comparison later today. Carolina Wolf Spiders (the real guys) are difficult to find. At least for me... because I traveled all the way up and down the east coast and couldn't find a single one, looking in every field I could find. Of course, it's been a dry hear, so I've heard any wolf spider is harder to find.

Pauly

Paul Day

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh yes, I'll also try to post a picture of a male Hogna helluo... they look quite different from females.

Pauly