Spiders catch themselves

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was cleaning out my garage today when I came upon a box of glass jars. Almost every jar had a spider in it! There were some unidentified ones, 2 black widows and these 2.
This one looks a Brown Recluse

and this one I'm not sure what it is.

I fed them both a chopped meal worm and turned them loose. Both of them wouldn't tackle a whole mealworm so I had to make meal worm "pieces" before they would even get near it. :D

I wonder if this method of capture would work with wild Ts? Just put some jars out in a field and check them daily? :D
Nah~ probly not. {D

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Diane S said:
I wonder if this method of capture would work with wild Ts? Just put some jars out in a field and check them daily? :D
Nah~ probly not. {D
It probably would! Although you'd most likely end up with a bunch of other bugs that can't climb glass. It'd be like a colosseum down there I imagine...

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heres a good one. dig a whole put a glass deep jar in it and check it everyday you'd be suprised what wonders in it at night.
dig a who.e and place four small rocks around it then put a piece of sheet wood or a rock over top so theres about an half a inch clear to get best results.. dunno about t's..

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hey that was a good idea!! i guess i'd go try it out later! but when it rains... everythings gone right ?

wtf u actually got urself 2 black widows!! a black widow cost about us$50 here in malaysia!! and.. arent thier bite dangerous?

Last edited:

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats awlsome. automatic spider catchers. yeah that looks like a brown recluse spider to me.

Elson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey , that's a good idea!!!btw , what species is that(the second pic)??? :?

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T's can climb glass. I know when I put mine in glass jars, regardless of how gentle I am in coaxing them in there, they FREAK! Guess they dont like the feeling of going from nice, comfy burrow to cold glass jar, lol.

It may work if the T decides to make it a home. I say give it a try, and just get out there before it rains! :D

~Crystal

LAking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Randychuah said:
hey that was a good idea!! i guess i'd go try it out later! but when it rains... everythings gone right ?

wtf u actually got urself 2 black widows!! a black widow cost about us$50 here in malaysia!! and.. arent thier bite dangerous?
Black widows are very common in many parts of the United States. If you live in the right area, you are likely to find widows hiding in all sorts of dark places, coming out for food and web maintainence at night. I have a black widow right now that I found in my room. She built her web from my curtains to my sub woofer. Kind of rare for it to be as high up as she was. You probably couldn't sell a black widow for a penny in these parts.

Yes their bite is dangerous, however they are usually not aggressive and somewhat clumsy when moving through their web. Plus, if you do get bit, just about any major hospital will have the antivemon. As long as you don't have a severe alergic reaction you'll be fine. But it can be painful i hear. I know people who have been bit and never even went to the hospital. They had pain and swelling in their arm (where they were bit) for about a week.

slode

Arachnopeon
spiders in jars

Diane S said:
I was cleaning out my garage today when I came upon a box of glass jars. Almost every jar had a spider in it!
this makes me feel a bit better about keeping spiders in Jars! knowing that they would choose them when offered a range of other sites.

steve

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Diane S said:

Looks llike a Dysdera sp.

I may have to try setting some jars out now. Haven't had any luck finding widows any other way so it couldn't hurt. BTW, are Ts found as far north as you Diane S? I know they've been seen around Wichita and farther south and west in Kansas but never heard of them so far north.

Last edited:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That idea works wonders if you *remember* to check them in the morning before the bugs get fried. you need to check it everyday otherwise you end up with drt and what have you inside and the critters crawl out or they die from water running in [possibly from rain] or the heat of the day.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
L. mactans are PROLIFIC in CA, especially the past two years. We've had much warmer weather with MUCH higher humidity levels, making for more successful molts and sacs! They are EVERYWHERE!

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The first picture does look like a brown recluse. The second looks like Herpyllus ecclesiasticus from the Gnaphosidae family also known as the parsons spider. What do you think?

See this website: http://bugguide.net/node/view/4324/bgimage

Renee

Last edited:

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
@spydra... it has the same markings and colordescription...i think you are right
dianne

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure they fell in the jars by accident cause all of them couldn't climb the sides very well. The good news is all the jars had baby black crickets in them too so the spiders seem to have been somewhat lucky. Spiders fall in, get stuck; crickets fall in~ feed spiders; kindly spider lady finds them and takes them to wooded area= happy ending for all but the crickets :D

Phaedrus,
there are some Ts here I'm sure. I found some large webbed burrows at Kanopolis lake early this summer but haven't had the chance to go back. They are in the part where the cactus grow, kinda sandy and scrub vegetation around.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
The 1st picture looks like a mature male brown recluse, might not be the Loxosceles reclusa, it is one of the fiddle back spiders. And you are in the right area for them.

The other, don't know... Could be a wolf spider as it looks to be an active hunter. Maybe it's Pardosa amentatahttp://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/Lycosidae/wolfspiders.htm it looked kind of similar and is a fairly common species in and around homes

And jar traps have been used a very long time to capture bugs. In the right areas, you'll get lots of spiders, beetles, roaches, occasionally even small reptiles. And if you can place a battery operated light over the ground trap, you can be emptying them every 2-3 hours

alex21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

HI,

that looks like an awesome spider! it's so beautiful. just curious, would you happen to sell it? i'd love to have it. if so, email me at erik_ut_2001@yahoo.com

thanks

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that looks like an awesome spider! it's so beautiful. just curious, would you happen to sell it?
Well, I would send it to you for the shipping but I let it go. I did find some others today. I've left the jars in the corner of the garage just to see what I can catch :D but I've been releasing the captives afterwards. I just want to look at them :p

That Brown Recluse gave me the scare of my life! I thought it was dead so I was using a wire to reposition the legs for a better photo when suddenly it came to life and started running all over the place! It was running so fast it made it half way up the jar before I put a magazine on top!

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You wrong. Its both. L mactans and L hesperus. I've seen L hesperus and L mactans not two feet apart in their webs :)