Will be getting my first Sailfin Dragon

icemanx2

Arachnopeon
Can't wait for tomorrow, i'll be trading a chaco and rosea sling both at around 2cm for a juvi H. pustulatus (Philippine Sailfin Dragon). Has anyone here got any experience caring for sailfins?

i'll be getting one of this guys :

Risky

Arachnosquire
I hope you have a large enclosure for when he gets bigger. I don't have experience with them but from what I heard they can grow over 4 feet.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't have any personal experience with them but a friend of mine had a couple of impressive adults. They need a LARGE enclosure with lots of large branches and high humidity. Hopefully you've done lots of research. They're a lot of work but really fantastic lizards.

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can't wait for tomorrow, i'll be trading a chaco and rosea sling both at around 2cm for a juvi H. pustulatus (Philippine Sailfin Dragon).
Wow, that sounds like an incredible deal for you.
I researched these for a long time in hopes of getting one, but ended up deciding not to simply because of the amount of space and care they require. That said, they seem like absolutely incredible lizards to work with. Good luck with your new friend :D

icemanx2

Arachnopeon
Yup! They do need a big amount of space to live in, I'm currently keeping him in this type of bin cage (2ft x 3ft wide x 2.5ft tall)

modified for his needs, I cut some big branches for him to climb with, cut out some holes for ventilation and an incandescent light bulbas light and heat source, misting atleast 2x a day. I just need more info on how much or how often do I need to feed him.

Entomancer

Arachnobaron
If I recall, most "dragon" lizards are agamids.

I don't know if you knew this already, but agamids need UVB light in order to synthesize vitamin D properly, and incandescent lights do not produce light in the proper spectrum for this.

In order to provide enough UVB, you will either need a large flourescent strip or a mecury vapor bulb or other equivalent. Also, I would be dusting prey with vitamin powder and calcium powder if I were you, and offering fruits/veggies (many "dragon" agamids are omnivores to some extent).

icemanx2

Arachnopeon
@LordRaiden - thanks for the info. I'll be changing from incandescent to fluorescent bulb then. I thought that the heat coming from the i.bulb is enough for him. I am currently having a hard time feeding him inside his cage, to feed him properly I often put him on the floor and lay some superworms in front for him to feed on also put some chopped apples and green veggies.

Entomancer

Arachnobaron
Flourescent bulbs do not produce much heat. In order to provide the proper heating and lighting settings for agamids, you either need a bulb that produces heat and a bulb that produces UVB (I'd say shoot for about 5%, exo terra makes one that's supposed to do this) or a more expensive bulb that does both. Also, I would not advise using compact flourescents, because they tend to break easily and they stop producing UVB after about 3 months.

I'm sorry, but to be honest, it sounds to me like you didn't do enough research. I hadn't even seen these lizards before, and while they are quite unique and charismatic-looking, a potentially 4-foot agamid is going to be a lot of work, and would need a very large enclosure at adulthood, with very strong and expensive lighting. Combine that with the tendency for agamids (at least in my experience) to grow very quickly, and I'd start building the adult enclosure 10 minutes ago if I were you.

As for food, I'd feed them like any other omnivorous agamid. Fruits/veggies offered daily, insects with supplements offered daily as a juvenile and maybe 3-4 times a week as an adult. Careful with superworms though, because they are a little harder to digest than other insects. Personally, I'd stick with roaches, crickets, and silkworms/hornworms if available.

icemanx2

Arachnopeon
@lordraiden - yes, I do admit that my research is not enough. That's the reason that I've decided to give my sailfin to a friend who lives at the province. He had experience handling sailfin and monitor lizards, good thing that he lives a couple of blocks away from my mom's house and I will still be able to visit from time to time. I think I'll stick with T's and Scorps. :)