my T can't catch crickets!

charlotte

Arachnopeon
My T (G rosea) molted (successfully) 3 weeks ago. I put 3 crickets in with her several days ago and it seems that she can't catch them. She sneaks up on them, and as she's about to pounce, they jump away. They also like to hide inside the cork bark. Should I take the cork bark out? She never goes inside it, but I've only had her for 5 weeks. Is there something else I can feed her? Or, is this normal? I'm afraid she's not getting enough to eat. Thanks for the help.

caligulathegod

Arachnodeity
Old Timer
She'll be fine. If she has a problem with the crickets jumping away then rip the jump legs off the cricket. I usually do it with my tongs. Sometimes you can just hold the cricket by its leg and give it a gentle shake and the leg will come off, then do the other one. Other times you have to rip them off. On my younger spiders, sometimes I'll rip off the walking legs, too.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can try putting the crickets in the fridge for about 15 or 20 mins...this will slow them right down...

Good Luck...

Regards, Mike :D

Walter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The best way to get rid of crickets jumping legs is to squeeze the knee with your fingers - cricket just let the leg go.
I would try to offer some waxworms, superworms or even better, the silkworms.

James M.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you want, take and crush the heads of a couple crickets and throw them in the Ts cage. The T should be able to catch them then.;P

charlotte

Arachnopeon
I think I'll have to try the fridge method or worms, as I'm only capable of squishing bugs with my feet. Do the worms need to be put in a dish so they don't burrow into the soil? Thanks for the help.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would put the worms on some sort of dish so they dont burrow into your substrate and put the dish close to where she will find it...

Good Luck..

Mike :D

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the fridge method would definatley work as it would make the crickets lethargic and they would slowly regain strength;)

FelixA9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Eventually the cricket will be stoopid enough to walk near the T when it's just sitting there and *BAM*.

charlotte

Arachnopeon
She has her fangs and they are black (I guess that means they've hardend up since the molt?) I think I'll probably take out the cork bark in her tank too, the crickets like to hide in there, yet she's never used it. Maybe I need to make it easier for her to catch them. Or maybe because I'm watching her, she has stage fright :rolleyes: Thanks for all the help.

ArachnoPapa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It sounds like she just is not hungry enough to put the effort in it. Plus is her enviroment cold? Tarantulas are most diffenantly cool in they are always showing some different characteristic. When she wants to eat bad enough she will catch the crickets jumping legs or not. The seasons seem to play a role in there aggressiveness towards there food. Seasons meaning mating, already mated, last molt, age, getting ready for the famine time or it is bountiful periods. Colder, hotter, being annoyed more than hungry. Point is dont worry at all make sure water is there and things should be fine. Of course you will come across many wierd behaviors to even suicide and a seemingly best bud.

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that is really weird i have not seen any of my tarantulas not being able to catch crickets. I would just take its hind legs off

ArachnoPapa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Trust me I have seen several of my species go through this phase. Then some months later become scary killer machines.:)

charlotte

Arachnopeon
In my T's enclosure it's ranges from 70 - 75 degrees. I was going to take out the cork shelter and she was actually using it. Maybe she's getting used to her surroundings. She molted just 2 weeks after I got her and it's been 3 weeks since her molt. I made sure she has plenty of water. Maybe she thinks crickets are friends not food. Thanks for all the replies. I'll get her some worms and try not to stress over it.

caligulathegod

Arachnodeity
Old Timer
Three weeks for a Rosie is nothing. I'd give her another week or two, then reintroduce food.